Tuesday 14 October 2014

The Duty of a Friend

We all know how it goes.

 I, ____, take you, ____, to be my (husband/wife). I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life. 

Even though they call it a wedding vow,  I'd like to think that it is an unspoken understanding and a silent vow made when being a true friend. When you see someone in public, and you say hi to them, and say 'Oh, that's my friend'. 

What is a friend? Is there a difference between a friend and acquaintance?  To an extent, a friend is a friend, while true friends are people of another level. 

While I had dinner with Pukes, probably my closest and bestest friends that I have around me, I can't help but to think about the definition of what friendship meant, and that in reality, true friendship meant them. 

True friends are people who you can never see each other for months, but yet again, you can talk like you've never missed a beat in their lives, and likewise to yours. You stand up for each other, even if it meant you may offend people in the outside circle. It's a bond where it is almost unbelievable, as if it wouldn't and couldn't have worked any other way around. 

Apart from the fun and laughter, you open up to problems faced, and build each other up, with the best intentions and without judgement, being there even when you don't have to. True friends make you a better person and the best version of yourself, you live and breathe positivity, and you would wish the same for the rest. 

Looking at what I have, I do realise that you don't need a whole lot of friends, just the right ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment